Sunday, July 5, 2015

Grace

Something was said in church today that has me thinking. A young lady serving a mission said that many people think that grace is the light at the end of the tunnel when in reality grace is the light that carries us through the tunnel. This thought really struck me. I have heard all my life the phrase that we are saved by grace after all we can do. In a way, that can be misinterpreted to mean that we have to get through the tunnel before we reach the grace, but this Sister suggested that grace is with us the whole way.

I’m not sure that I have thought enough about grace to say what I have believed about it. Looking back on my life I can definitely say that I have felt God’s grace every step of the way. Wikipedia explains grace this way: “In Western Christian theology, grace has been defined, not as a created substance of any kind, but as ‘the love and mercy given to us by God because God desires us to have it, not because of anything we have done to earn it,’ ‘the condescension or benevolence shown by God toward the human race.’” I have undeniably felt that love and mercy even when I felt that I didn’t deserve it.

I think that the reason this Sister’s thought on grace is on my mind is because even though I can see and identify God’s grace when looking back on my life, I don’t think that I always acknowledge or recognize it in my current trials. I go through each day struggling to know how to take care of my children, my home, and all my clients at work and don’t give full recognition to the God that gives me strength to perform all those tasks. It is God’s grace that makes me capable of getting up and going to work when I have only had two to three hours of sleep. It is God’s grace that calms me when I feel that I just can’t respond with kindness to my children being out of control. It is God’s grace that enables me to show forth love and compassion to everyone that walks through the doors of our office, no matter what their life circumstances. Every single aspect of my life exists because of God’s grace.

God’s grace is truly what gets me through the tunnel. I know that God is aware of me and is always offering his love, support, and compassion every step of the way. I am so grateful today for the knowledge of a loving God, who is my Father. I love him and truly desire to emulate him each day of my life.

God’s Grace
by Amy Tiare

Crawling through the darkness, searching for the light
Moving through the tunnel of life
Off in the distance, a spark, a glimmer
Maybe there is end to all this strife
Will I ever reach it? Is there hope for me?
Can I bask in the warmth of the light?
Feeling so discouraged, the path is just too hard
Is there a God who hears my plight?

Show me, oh God
Open up my eyes
Reveal to me your loving face
Lift me from this darkness
Lend me strength to go on
Embrace me in the arms of your grace

A sudden flash of light, my eyes are opened
A wondrous scene is soon revealed
Scurrying in the tunnel, a host of angels
Removing obstacles and acting as a shield
All this time I have thought that the end would show God’s love
That the light would be a sweet release
Now I see the truth, that God is all around me
While traveling the tunnel there can be peace

Show me, oh God
Open up my eyes
Reveal to me your loving face
Lift me from this darkness
Lend me strength to go on
Embrace me in the arms of your grace

No comments:

Post a Comment