Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Food

Right now I am eating a salad that has apple balsamic vinaigrette. That might not seem impressive or significant, but for a person whose childhood food consisted of grilled cheese sandwiches, cinnamon toast, and nacho cheese Doritos it is pretty amazing to be branching out and trying new foods. As a teenager trying new foods meant trying cool ranch Doritos instead of nacho cheese or putting mayonnaise on my sandwich instead of having it plain.

In my early twenties I decided I was way too picky about food. I had started eating a lot of salads but always had ranch dressing on them. One year I made a new year’s resolution that I would try a different dressing every time I ate a salad. Wow! I never knew so many flavors existed! I didn’t like everything that I tried, but I discovered many new amazing tastes.

Trying new foods is not always enjoyable, like the time I finally gave in and tried shrimp. My mouth and throat immediately started to swell up and feel real funny. I didn’t have to go to the hospital but decided that I would never eat shrimp again! That experience has made me a little nervous about new foods but mostly just sea food. People always assume that because I grew up in Alaska that I love sea food but I mostly stay away from it. I am okay with eating halibut and occasionally salmon but never liked clams or other things I tried. Some things I haven’t tried but just can’t bring myself to, like crab. But there is much more to food than just sea food!

Trying new food can be like standing on the edge of a cliff getting ready to jump off. You are hoping that you will be able to fly but always know that there is a chance you will plummet to the earth. That sounds really extreme! Haha! But that is how it has always felt for me. I have my safe foods that make me feel happy, like Tillamook medium cheddar cheese, and there are many questionable foods that I just don’t know until I try them. Then there is shrimp, the food that makes me plummet to the earth. Hopefully I won’t find anymore foods like that!

What foods make you feel happy?

No comments:

Post a Comment