Friday, July 24, 2015

Finding Happiness

Tonight my two older kids were in a play. It was so fun to see them performing on stage and being so happy. It is so important to do things that make you happy. I remember one day while I was still married when something made me smile while I was passing a mirror. I looked in the mirror and saw my dimples. I have very distinct dimples and had somehow forgotten that I even had any. When I realized that, I started to cry. Had it really been that long since I had seen my dimples that I forgot I had them?!

I have a tendency to get so caught up in all the responsibilities that I have that I get too serious and forget to laugh or have fun. One night recently my oldest and I were up late talking and laughing. My daughter got serious and asked, “Mom, do you ever laugh?” I answered that I was right then! She said, “I know, but I mean other than tonight.” That was a bit of a wake-up call. My own daughter, who I lived with almost every day, couldn’t remember the last time she saw me laugh. Since then I have made more of an effort to find enjoyment in life.

I really feel that no matter what is happening in life there is always a way to find at least a little bit of enjoyment and happiness, even if it is just temporary. If people in concentration camps could find peace then certainly I should be able to find momentary happiness.

The things that seem to help me tune in to happy moments are music, both listening to and playing, stopping what I am doing and watching my children, petting my cat, watching the trees sway in the wind, walking barefoot in the grass, floating in water whether it be in a pool or a bath, cuddling my kids, and eating chocolate. ;) There are other opportunities each day that can make the journey lighter and brighter. I don’t think that this life is going to get any easier but that doesn’t mean we can’t find joy in the journey. We don’t have to be free of burdens in order to be happy.


In what ways are you creating joy in your journey?

No comments:

Post a Comment